RIP, Grandpa

Posted on: December 27/07

Thank you to everyone who showed concern for me and my family. You guys are truly awesome of the awesomest friends I have. It means a lot to me especially since this is the first grandparent that I’m losing and the first death in my family. Thank you, you guys.

As of today, things have finally come to a close, somewhat. Everything has just been “boom boom boom” non-stop it seems. I guess it is a good thing though, considering my limited time here. Also, from when all this started since finding out that grandpa had cancer until now, it’s only been a short month or so. It sure is sudden, but looking at it from the bright side, at least it saves everyone a lot of trouble going in and out of the hospital on a regular basis. Besides, it must be waaay hard to live with the constant burden of knowing that you or your family member is about to die from cancer in the near future. Anyway, all that’s left to do is to figure out the funeral plans now…

My grandfather went through with the surgery afterall around 10:00 pm on Dec. 22nd, and it was a successful one. The surgery though, was only meant to open up a new path for digestion (because the cancerous tumor was blocking it before); it wasn’t meant to get rid of the cancer since it was late stage and has spread already. Grandpa seemed to be doing alright the couple of days after the surgery, but his blood pressure was low and his pulse rate high. Apparently he has a weak heart on top of all this.

The night of Dec. 25, my dad finally flew into HK from Vancouver. The same night, around midnight (so the beginning of Dec. 26), the hospital called asking family to come. I was out chilling with Wing and Cheryl and I’ve already visited my grandpa a few hours before, so I didn’t rush over. I heard that he was quite alert and calm, even though it’s obvious that something is very wrong if family is called to see him in the middle of the night. He even told everyone to go home saying he was fine. I found out afterwards that apparently he coughed up blood, so they ran some tests and found that he had air in the pleural cavity (area between the lungs and the rib cage), a partially collapsed lung, and some heart attack symptoms. They transferred him to the ICU that night.

Phone call from the hospital at noon the next day calling the whole family over. Grandpa’s heart stopped for 20 minutes, CPR got it going again, and now he was unconcious. When we got there, the doctor gave us “the final talk” saying that he could leave us at any time now. I guess that’s when it finally hit home for most of the family. My grandma, one of my uncles, and my dad bursted out crying. I don’t know about you, but for me, to see other people cry who usually don’t…it seriously gets me emotionally weak. We were allowed to visit him in 2s. After putting on the hospital gown and the breathing filter mask, I went in with my younger 14-year-old cousin. We saw him lying unconciously on the bed, with a respirator to help him breathe. I cried the most then, as I said my last words to him and prayed a prayer for him with my cousin (who couldn’t think of anything to say to grandpa….typical teenage boys -.-). I don’t know if he could hear us or not, but that’s the most we can do at such a time.

Early in the morning of Dec. 27 (today), a wake up call from the hospital. Grandpa’s blood pressure was critically low. When we got there, his heart has already stopped beating, yet there was still the lowest of low blood pressure detected. According to me, he has already passed away, but according to the hospital, officially it’s when the blood pressure is zero also that he’s declared dead. We stood around him in silence, nobody really knowing just what to say. The nurse finally told us to wait outside while the doctors wrapped things up one last time. We got to see him once more before we left. All the tubes and everything were taken out, so he looked more “presentable”. To me, he looked like he was merely peacefully sleeping, and I believe he passed away with minimal pain and with peace in his heart that can come only from God, whom he accepted last week. For that, I’m super grateful beyond words.
They officially declared his death at 8:04 am, Dec. 27, 2007. 

Rest In Peace, Dear Grandpa


4 Responses to "RIP, Grandpa"

skammie~ my condolences to your family…
stay strong and please take care! *HUGS*

I’m so sorry for your loss. I’ll continue to keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers.
Hang in there. Your grandfather is in a much better place and isn’t in pain anymore. *hugggggs*

I’m so sorry to hear of your loss. *hugs*

I am so happy that you got a chance to see your grandfather and to talk to him. *hugs* You will never have any regrets about your decision to go to him.

Sarah, my thoughts & prayers go out to you & your family. Because of my own experience, I can tell you that it does get better and all the loving memories you have of him are something to be cherished.

Take care! *hugs*

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s


December 2007
« Nov   Jan »

Top clicks

  • None

Around the World

Already served

  • 21,130 curious minds
%d bloggers like this: